Credit cards: getting a ‘chargeback’

Sometimes you may want to dispute a credit or debit card transaction if:

  • The transaction was not authorised by you. 

  • The supplier did not deliver the goods or services you paid for.

  • The goods were delivered to you but were faulty or not as described.

You should contact the supplier first, to seek a refund. If the supplier will not refund your money and you paid using a credit or debit card, your card provider may agree to reverse the transaction. This is called a chargeback.

Dispute rules for each card scheme vary.

The National Consumer Agency has information about chargebacks and how to go about getting one.