From 1 September 2015, students in the asylum protection system will have access to student supports in line with the current Student Grant Scheme.
Students will have to meet the following criteria:
- Meet the definition of a protection applicant or a person at leave to remain stage (other than those at the deportation order stage);
- Obtained their Leaving Certificate;
- Have been accepted on an approved Post Leaving Certificate course or an approved undergraduate course;
- Have attended a minimum of five academic years in the Irish school system, as at 31st August 2015; and
- Have been part of an application for protection or at leave to remain stage (other than those at the deportation order stage) for a combined period of 5 years as at 31st August 2015.