Tax credit certificates

Your tax credit certificate lists your tax credits and reliefs for 2016. You can view your tax credit certificate and claim any additional tax credits that you may be due for 2016 on Revenue’s PAYE Anytime. You can also print a copy of your tax credit certificate from PAYE Anytime.

To access PAYE Anytime you must be registered for myAccount. This is a single access point for all Revenue’s secure online services (except ROS) and is the quickest, easiest and most convenient way to manage your tax affairs.

Find out about changes in your take home pay in 2016. 

Resolving disputes with your landlord

If you have a dispute with your landlord you may be able to resolve it informally. However sometimes this is not possible and you need to involve a third party to help resolve the problem. The Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) offers a dispute resolution service for tenants and landlords.

From 8 January 2016 there is no fee if you choose to have your dispute application to the PRTB resolved by mediation. (The fee for adjudication is €25 for a paper application and €15 online.)

During mediation you and your landlord will be helped to reach an agreement by a trained mediator. Mediation is fast, convenient and the terms of the agreements are legally binding and enforceable. The PRTB also offers a telephone mediation service.

Find out more about resolving disputes.

The PRTB also publishes a checklist for tenants on how to prevent disputes, along with a similar checklist for landlords.

Advice when travelling abroad

When planning a trip abroad you can get travel advice and information on local laws and customs on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website.

The website provides detailed country-specific travel advice including information on the local security situation.This helps you to make informed decisions when you’re planning a trip overseas and offers you an objective assessment of the risks you could face.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade also encourages Irish citizens travelling or living overseas to register their contact details. The information recorded in the Citizens’ Registration database can be used if there is an unforeseen crisis such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or if you have a family emergency while you are overseas.This is only available to people living or travelling outside the Common Travel Area (Ireland/UK).

Register your details. 

CAO dates in 2016

You apply for almost all full-time undergraduate courses through the Central Applications Office (CAO). The CAO provides a handbook that lists all the courses on offer and gives information on how to apply. The closing date for 2016 applications from Irish and other European Union nationals is 5.15 pm on 1 February 2015. Late applications are allowed up to 5.15 pm on 1 May 2015. You can get a full list of dates on the CAO website.

Decisions on offers of places are normally made in August and September, after the results of the Leaving Certificate have come out.

Application deadlines and fees for 2016

Online discounted rate € 25 20 Jan 2016 (5:15pm)
Normal application (online or paper) € 40 1 Feb 2016 (5:15 pm)
Late online application € 50 1 May 2016 (5:15 pm)
Late paper application € 80 1 May 2016 (5:15 pm)
Change of Mind (opens from 5 May 2016) Nil 1 July 2016 (5:15 pm)

You can amend your course choices free until 30 January (the day before the normal application deadline). From 5 February 2016 you can pay €10 to amend your course choices online. There is a further chance to change your mind, free of charge, from 5 May 2016.

All fees are non-refundable. People who are applying for the HEAR (Higher Education Access Route) and DARE (Disability Access Route to Education) schemes should indicate this on their online application forms by 1 March 2016.

Read our document on applying to college.

Dealing with colds and flu developed by the HSE in partnership with GPs and pharmacists, offers advice on how to get through common illnesses without antibiotics.

The website gives sensible practical information on a range of common conditions like colds, flu, earaches, sore throats and tummy bugs. It tells you how long they should last, what to expect, and what you can do to cope with, and recover from, these illnesses.

The site also includes a series of videos of GPs and pharmacists giving advice on dealing with common illnesses.


Help after a flood

The Department of Social Protection’s Humanitarian Assistance Scheme provides means-tested emergency financial help immediately following flooding. It does not provide compensation for damage. The amount paid depends on how severe the damage is and your ability to meet these costs. The DSP also provides exceptional and urgent needs payments which can help in the aftermath of a flood.

The Irish Red Cross Society is administering two schemes to provide emergency humanitarian support. One will provide help to small businesses (under 20 employees) that were unable to secure flood insurance and have been flooded following recent storms (on or after 4 December 2015). The scheme aims to give help towards the costs of returning business premises to their pre-flood condition including the replacement of flooring, fixtures and fittings and damaged stock. The scheme will not provide a contribution to loss of earnings or loss of business good-will.

The second gives temporary emergency humanitarian support to community, voluntary and sporting bodies affected by flooding during the period between December 2015 and January 2016. The scheme covers damage to buildings, contents or equipment for organisations that could not secure flood insurance.

You can find out more about both schemes and how to apply from the Irish Red Cross. The closing date for both schemes is Sunday 31 January 2016. 

The Department of Agriculture’s Assistance scheme provides support for farmers including support for animal welfare, temporary relaxation of the rules around moving livestock and special arrangements around flooding of slurry tanks. A new Fodder Aid Scheme 2016 is also available for farmers who have had fodder losses as a result of severe flooding.

You can contact your local Department of Agriculture Office, the Animal Welfare Helpline: 0761 06 4404 or (01) 607 2379 or your Teagasc advisor on the Teagasc Advisory Helpline: 0761 11 3355 to find out  more.

Revenue has announced provisions to help people who have been affected by flooding. If your home has been flooded and you are getting help from the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme, you can apply to have your 2016 LPT payment deferred (even if you do not qualify for deferral under the normal criteria). Contact the LPT Helpline on 1890 200 255 to make the relevant arrangements.

If your business premises have been damaged by floods and you are getting help from the Government Support for Small Business Fund, via the Red Cross, you should contact the Collector-General’s office on 1890 20 30 70 to agree additional time to file returns and make payments or to agree suitable phased payment arrangements.

The Office of Public Works (OPW) has a website,, that gives information about what to do before, during and after a flood. Visit to find out more.

The HSE has information on cleaning a home after flooding and the psychological effects of flooding.

There are two leaflets giving details of the help available:

Deadline for LPT payment today

If you wish to pay your Local Property Tax for 2016 in one lump sum you must tell Revenue by 7 January 2016.

You can use or change to one of these methods.

Lump sum payment methods Latest date for payment More details
Debit card or credit card 7 January 2016 If you pay by debit or credit card the deduction will be made the day the transaction is completed online.
Single cash payment through a service provider 7 January 2016 Cash or debit/credit card payments through certain payment service providers (you can check the list on A transaction charge usually applies.
Single Debit Authority You must inform Revenue by 7 January 2016 that you are using this method. Payment is deducted on 21 March 2016. This amount is taken from your bank account in one deduction on 21 March 2016 and is paid directly to Revenue. You can specify an earlier date if you wish.
Cheque or postal order 7 January 2016 Make the cheque or postal order payable to the Collector General and record your Property ID on the back of the cheque or postal order.

If you paid your 2015 LPT in instalments or in phased payments (for example, by deduction at source or direct debit) this payment method will automatically apply for 2016 and subsequent years.

Family Income Supplement

The thresholds for Family Income Supplement (FIS) increase from today (7 January 2016). FIS gives extra financial support to low paid employees with children who are working at least 38 hours in a fortnight. You must have at least one child who normally lives with you or is financially supported by you. Your child must be under 18 years of age or between 18 and 22 years of age and in full-time education.

To qualify for FIS, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. In 2016:

If you have: You qualify for FIS if your weekly family income is less than:
One child €511
Two children €612
Three children €713
Four children €834
Five children €960
Six children €1,076
Seven children €1,212
Eight children €1,308

To find out your weekly FIS payment, you calculate your average weekly family income. Then take away your family income from the maximum income limit for your family size (see table above). Your FIS payment is 60% of the difference between your total family income and the income limit which applies to your family.

Find out more about FIS.