Know Your Rights: Domestic violence


My partner has been violent towards me and my children. What can I do to stop this and protect my family?

Answer (February 2017)

If you are concerned about violence in your home, you can contact the Gardaí, who are specially trained to deal with these situations and can offer advice and information. Under the Domestic Violence Act 1996, where there is an order in place, Gardaí have the power to arrest and prosecute a violent family member. There are two main kinds of protection available – a safety order and a barring order.

A safety order is an order of the court which prohibits the violent person with whom you are living from further violence or threats of violence. It does not oblige the person to leave the family home. You can also get a safety order against a person with whom you have had a child, even if you are no longer living with or have never lived with the person. It prohibits them from watching or being near your home.  A safety order can last up to 5 years.

A barring order is an order which requires the person to leave the family home. If you are not married or in a civil partnership, you can get a barring order against a violent partner if you have been living together in an intimate and committed relationship for 6 out of the previous 9 months and if your partner does not own most or all of the house you are living in. A barring order can last up to 3 years.

Both types of order can be renewed by applying for a further order before the previous one has expired.

Others living together can also apply for protection.  For example, a parent can apply for protection against domestic violence by their own child, if the child is over 18.

To get a barring order or a safety order, you must apply to the District Court. While you are waiting for the court to hear your application, the court can give you an immediate order, called a protection order. The protection order has the same effect as a safety order. In exceptional circumstances the court can grant an interim barring order. This is an immediate order, requiring the violent person to leave the family home.

Know Your Rights: Carers and free travel


I care full-time for a relative with a disability and I have applied for Carer’s Allowance. Although I am not yet aged 66 would I be entitled to a free travel pass, if I qualify for this allowance?

Answer (February 2017)

Everyone aged 66 and over living permanently in the State is entitled to the Free Travel Scheme. If you are under age 66 and registered for a Public Services Card, you will be awarded free travel with your Carer’s Allowance. You will be issued with a new Public Services Card which will also be your Free Travel Card. The card will have “F-T” printed in a yellow octagon in the top left-hand corner.

If you have not yet registered for the Public Services Card, you will be asked to register before your Free Travel Card issues to you.

The Public Services Card allows people to access a range of government services and payments and it will eventually replace the Free Travel Pass. In order to keep your entitlement to Free Travel, you must register for the Public Services Card when requested to do so by the Department of Social Protection. Your entitlement to Free Travel will be disallowed or withdrawn if you don’t register.

You must show your Public Services Card to the travel operator when you are travelling on public transport. (In some cases you may be asked to scan your Public Services Card. However, not all transport operators have this facility.)

Note that people under 66 getting PRSI-based Carer’s Benefit are not entitled to a Free Travel Card.

If you are living with the person you care for, you may also be entitled to the Household Benefits Package, which includes an electricity or gas allowance as well as a free TV licence.  Only one person in a household can qualify for the package at any time.

Know Your Rights: Importing a car into Ireland


What are the rules about buying a car in the UK and bringing it back to Ireland?

Answer (February 2017)

In general, all vehicles brought into Ireland are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered. If you have imported a vehicle, you must pay VRT and receive the vehicle’s registration certificate showing that you have paid VRT.

If you live abroad and are moving to live in Ireland, you may be eligible for a VRT exemption. Even if you are not required to pay VRT, you must still register your vehicle when you move to Ireland. In certain cases, foreign-registered vehicles may be imported into Ireland temporarily by a non-resident without the requirement to pay VRT or register the vehicle.

You register the car and pay the VRT at a National Car Testing Service (NCTS) centre. You can get an estimate of the VRT due from the Revenue Vehicle Registration Online Enquiry System.

When you register and pay the VRT, a registration number will be assigned to your car. You can obtain vehicle registration plates from the NCTS centre or from any motor factor.

If you are importing a new car from another EU state, you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. If you are importing a new or second- hand car from outside the EU, VAT (and customs duty) is payable.

If your vehicle is 4 years old or more, it will have to go through the National Car Test (NCT) immediately.

Further information is available in the Revenue guide to VRT and on

Know Your Rights: Family Income Supplement and student grants


My wife and I are applying for the Family Income Supplement (FIS) for our family of two children.  We are unsure about what income is included in the means test for this payment. For example, will my wife’s student grant be included?

Answer (February 2017)

Family Income Supplement (FIS) is a weekly tax-free payment for families, including one-parent families, at work on low pay.  The combined income of a couple (married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting) is taken into account when your means are assessed for FIS. Income from any source, including a student grant, is assessed in the means test. However, the following payments are not counted as family income:

Capital is not assessed. This includes property you own, bank accounts and cars. However, bank accounts may be checked for other income sources and income derived from the use of a car that you own may be assessed (for example as a taxi).

The main items counted as income are a couple’s  assessable earnings, any extra earned in employment (such as pay for overtime, bonuses, allowances or commission), income from self-employment, occupational pensions, social welfare payments (apart from those listed above), income from carer’s payments or rental income from the letting of property or land.

Know your rights: Replacing lead pipes // Píobáin luaidhe a ionadú


We think that the water pipes in our house are made of lead and pose a risk to our health. We can’t afford to spend a lot on replacing them. Can we get a grant?

Answer  (October 2016)

The local authorities administer a means-tested grant scheme to help low-income households with the cost of replacing lead pipes and fittings.

You will need to provide evidence of your household’s income when applying to the local authority for the grant.

  • If your income is below €50,000 a year, you may get a grant of up to 80% of the cost, up to a maximum of €4,000
  • If your income is between €50,001 and €75,000, you may get up to 50%, up to a maximum of €2,500

You must own the dwelling and live in it as your principal private residence (your main home). You must get the remedial work done before applying for the grant.

The contractor who does the work must give you the following: a current tax clearance certificate; itemised receipts; written confirmation that materials used are of appropriate quality and written confirmation that a proper standard of workmanship has been applied.

You must also get evidence of a risk of lead contamination in your home. This can either be:

  • A letter from your water supplier, advising that your water system is likely to contain lead pipes and fittings, or
  • A certificate from an accredited laboratory, showing that the amount of lead in your water supply is over the statutory limit

You will need to enclose all these documents with your grant application.



Ceapaimid go bhfuil na píobáin uisce inár dteach déanta de luaidhe agus go gcruthaíonn siad baol dár sláinte. Níl sé d’acmhainn agat go leor airgid a chaitheamh ar na píobáin a ionadú. An féidir linn deontas a fháil?


Riarann na húdaráis áitiúla scéim deontais ar a ndéantar tástáil mhaoine chun cabhrú le teaghlaigh ísealioncaim íoc as an gcostas a bhíonn ar phíobáin agus feistis a ionadú.

Beidh ort fianaise a sholáthar i leith ioncam do theaghlaigh nuair a dhéanann tú iarratas ar an údarás áitiúil don deontas.

  • Má tá d’ioncam faoi bhun €50,000 sa bhliain, féadfaidh tú deontas a fháil a mhéid le 80% den chostas, a mhéid le €4,000
  • Má tá d’ioncam idir €50,001 agus €75,000 sa bhliain, féadfaidh tú deontas a fháil a mhéid le 50% den chostas, a mhéid le €2,500

Ní mór go bhfuil an áit chónaithe faoi d’úinéireacht agus caithfidh tú cónaí ann mar d’áit chónaithe phríomha (do phríomhtheach cónaithe). Ní mór go ndéantar an obair dheisiúcháin sula ndéanann tú iarratas ar an deontas.

Caithfidh an conraitheoir a dhéanann an obair an méid a leanas a thabhairt duit: deimhniú imréitigh cánach reatha; fáltais miondealaithe; deimhniú scríofa go mbaineann na hábhair a úsáidtear an cháilíocht chuí amach agus deimhniú scríofa gur cuireadh caighdeán cuí saoirseachta i bhfeidhm.

Caithfidh tú fianaise a fháil, chomh maith, i leith riosca i leith éilliú luaidhe i do theach. D’fhéadfadh an méid a leanas a bheith i gceist leis seo:

  • Litir ó do sholáthraí uisce a chuireann in iúl gur dóchúil go gcuimsítear i do chóras uisce píobáin agus feistis luaidhe, nó
  • Deimhniú ó shaotharlann chreidiúnaithe a thaispeánann go bhfuil an méid luaidhe i do sholáthar uisce os cionn na teorann reachtúla

Beidh ort na deimhnithe uile seo a chur faoi iamh le d’iarratas ar an deontas.

Féadfaidh tú tuilleadh a léamh faoi ar

Know your rights: Reserving a car registration number // Cláruimhir ghluaisteáin a chur in áirithe


How do I reserve a particular registration number for a new 2017 car?

Answer (November 2016)

You can only apply to reserve a vehicle registration number on or after 1 November of the year before you intend to bring the vehicle into use. In other words, to use the number in 2017 you can only apply to reserve a number from 1 November 2016 until Revenue’s close of business at the end of 2017. An application received prior to 1 November 2016 will be returned un-processed.

The number you reserve must be in the normal format and must correspond with the licensing authority area where you normally reside. It must also correspond with the year and half year in which the vehicle is to be first brought into use. For example, 172-D-111 may only be reserved by someone living in Dublin for a vehicle intended to be brought into use in the second half of 2017.

The registered owner of the vehicle on which the registration number is to be displayed must be the person in whose name the number was reserved.

All registration numbers are available for reservation, with the exception of the first number of each half year issued in the following cities Cork, Dublin, Limerick and Waterford. These numbers are, for example, 171-C-1, 172-C-1, 171-L-1, 172-L-1. They are reserved for the Mayor or Lord Mayor of each of these cities and are not available for reservation by anyone else.

A reserved registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle when it has been reached in the normal sequence. It may not be displayed on a vehicle before it has been formally assigned by Revenue, following the presentation and acceptance of a completed declaration for registration.

The fee to reserve a vehicle registration number is €1,000 and should be submitted with the application. The cheque, bank draft or postal order should be made payable to the Collector, Customs and Excise. You apply on Form VRT15A to the Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Registration Section, Central Vehicle Office, Rosslare Harbour, Co. Wexford.


Conas a chuirim cláruimhir ar leith do ghluaisteán nua 2017 in áirithe?


Ní féidir leat iarratas a dhéanamh chun cláruimhir feithicle a chur in áirithe ach an 1 Samhain, nó ina dhiaidh sin, sa bhliain sula mbeartaíonn tú úsáid a bhaint as an bhfeithicil. I bhfriotal eile, chun an uimhir a úsáid in 2017, ní féidir leat iarratas a dhéanamh chun uimhir a chur in áirithe ach ón 1 Samhain 2016 go dtí scor gnó na gCoimisinéirí Ioncaim ag deireadh 2017. Seolfar iarratas a fhaightear roimh an 1 Samhain 2016 agus ní phróiseálfar é.

Caithfidh an uimhir a chuireann tú in áirithe a bheith sa ghnáthfhormáid agus caithfidh sé comhfhreagairt do limistéar an údaráis cheadúnaithe ina ngnáthchónaíonn tú. Chomh maith leis sin, caithfidh an uimhir comhfhreagairt don bhliain agus don leathbhliain ina mbainfear úsáid as an bhfeithicil den chéad uair. Mar shampla, ní féidir ach le duine a chónaíonn i mBaile Átha Cliath 172-D-111 a chur in áirithe d’fheithicil a bheartaítear úsáid a bhaint aisti sa dara leath in 2017.

Ní mór gurb ionann úinéir cláraithe na feithicle ar a bhfuil an chláruimhir le taispeáint agus an duine ar cuireadh an uimhir in áirithe faoina n-ainm.

Tá gach cláruimhir ar fáil lena gcur in áirithe, seachas an chéad uimhir i ngach leathbhliain a eisítear sna cathracha a leanas: Corcaigh, Baile Átha Cliath, Luimneach agus Port Láirge. Is iad na huimhreacha seo, mar shampla, 171-C-1, 172-C-1, 171-L-1, 172-L-1. Cuirtear in áirithe iad siúd do Mhéara nó d’Ard-Mhéara na gcathracha seo agus níl siad ar fáil lena gcur in áirithe ag duine ar bith eile.

Ní féidir cláruimhir a cuireadh in áirithe a shannadh d’fheithicil ach nuair a baineadh an uimhir sin amach sa ghnáthsheicheamh. Ní féidir an uimhir a thaispeáint ar fheithicil sular shann na Coimisinéirí Ioncaim í go foirmiúil, i ndiaidh dearbhú um chlárú comhlánaithe a sholáthar agus i ndiaidh gur glacadh leis.

Is í an táille chun cláruimhir feithicle a chur in áirithe €1,000 agus ba cheart í a sheoladh ar aghaidh leis an iarratas. Ba cheart an seic, dréacht bainc nó an t-ordú poist a bheith iníoctha leis an mBailitheoir, Custaim agus Mál.  Féadfaidh tú iarratas a dhéanamh ar Fhoirm VRT15A le hOifig na gCoimisinéirí Ioncaim, an Rannóg Clárúcháin, an Lár-Oifig Feithiclí, Calafort Ros Láir, Contae Loch Garman.

Know your rights: Help for people in mortgage arrears // Cabhair do dhaoine ag a bhfuil riaráistí morgáiste


We have not been able to manage our mortgage repayments and other loans for a long time. The bank keeps sending us legal-looking letters and at this stage we can’t bear to open them. Is there anyone who can help?

Answer (November 2016)

Yes, there is a new scheme of aid and advice for borrowers in home mortgage arrears. This scheme is part of Abhaile, the national Mortgage Arrears Resolution Service. It provides a range of services to help you to deal with your situation, including financial advice, legal advice and insolvency advice.

Panels of qualified and regulated professionals have been set up to provide services under the scheme. It is co-ordinated by the Department of Justice and Equality and the Department of Social Protection and is operated by the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) in conjunction with the Insolvency Service of Ireland (ISI), the Legal Aid Board and the Citizens Information Board.

You will qualify for advice and assistance under the scheme if:

  • You are insolvent – this means that you are unable to pay your debts in full as they fall due and
  • You are in mortgage arrears on your home and
  • You are at risk of losing your home (for example, if your mortgage lender has initiated repossession proceedings or indicated that they plan to do so; if they have said that they consider you to be non-cooperating; or if they have asked you to consider selling or surrendering your home) and
  • The costs of staying in your home are proportionate to your reasonable accommodation needs

To access the scheme, you can ring the MABS Helpline: 0761 07 2000 (9am – 8pm, Monday – Friday) or contact your local MABS office.

Read more about the Scheme of Aid and Advice on Home Mortgage Arrears on and on


Níorbh fhéidir linn ár n-aisíocaíochtaí morgáiste agus iasachtaí eile a bhainistiú le fada an lá. Leanann an banc le litreacha a sheoladh chugainn de chineál dlíthiúil agus ag an bpointe seo, tá faitíos orainn iad a oscailt. An bhfuil duine ar bith ann atá in ann cabhrú linn?


Tá, tá scéim nua cúnaimh agus comhairle ann d’iasachtaithe a bhfuil riaráistí morgáiste acu. Tá an Scéim mar chuid de Abhaile, an tSeirbhís náisiúnta Réitigh Riaráistí Morgáiste. Soláthraíonn sí réimse seirbhísí chun cabhrú leat déileáil le do chás, comhairle airgeadais, comhairle dlí agus comhairle dócmhainneachta ina measc.

Socraíodh painéil de ghairmithe cáilithe agus rialaithe chun seirbhísí a sholáthar faoin Scéim.  Déanann an Roinn Dlí agus Cirt agus Comhionannais agus an Roinn Coimirce Sóisialaí í a chomhordú agus oibríonn an tSeirbhís Bhuiséadta agus Chomhairle Airgid (an SBCA) í i gcomhar le Seirbhís Dócmhainneachta na hÉireann (SDÉ), an Bord um Chúnamh Dlíthiúil agus an Bord um Fhaisnéis do Shaoránaigh.

Cáileoidh tú do chomhairle agus cúnamh a fháil faoin Scéim sna cásanna a leanas:

  • Tá tú dócmhainneach – ciallaíonn seo nach bhfuil ar do chumas d’fhiachas ina iomláine a íoc faoi mar a bhíonn siad le híoc, agus
  • Tá riaráistí morgáiste agat ar do theach, agus
  • Tá tú i mbaol do theach a chailleadh (mar shampla, má chuir d’iasachtóir morgáiste tús le himeachtaí athshealbhaithe nó má thug siad le fios go mbeartaíonn siad amhlaidh a dhéanamh; má dúirt siad go measann siad nach bhfuil tú ag comhoibriú; nó má d’iarr siad ort machnamh a dhéanamh ar do theach a dhíol nó a thabhairt suas), agus
  • Tá na costais a bhíonn ar fhanacht i do theach i gcomhréir le do riachtanais réasúnta chóiríochta

Chun rochtain a fháil ar an scéim, féadfaidh tú glao ar Líne Chabhrach an SBCA: 0761 07 2000 (9am – 8pm, ó Luan go hAoine) nó déan teagmháil le hoifig áitiúil an SBCA.

Is féidir leat níos mó a léamh faoin Scéim Cúnaimh agus Comhairle ar Riaráistí Morgáiste Tí ar agus ar

Know your rights: Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance // Liúntas Éadaí agus Coisbhirt chun Filleadh ar Scoil


What is the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance?

Answer (August 2016)

The Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance (BSCFA) helps you meet the cost of uniforms and footwear for children going to school. You must be getting a social welfare payment or taking part in a training, employment or adult education scheme. In general, you must be getting an Increase for a Qualified Child with your payment.

Your children must be aged between 4 and 22 on or before 30 September 2016. If they are aged between 18 and 22, they must be in full-time second-level education in a recognised school or college. Also, your total family income must be below a certain level for your family size. The allowance is €100 for eligible children aged between 4 and 11 and €200 for those aged between 12 and 22.

The scheme is open from 1 June to 30 September 2016. The Department of Social Protection pays BSCFA automatically to many customers. This means that they do not have to apply for the payment. If you qualify automatically, you should receive a letter stating when and how your Allowance will be paid.

If you do not get an automatic payment you must apply for the Allowance. If any of your children are aged 18 or over, you must apply for the Allowance for them and supply evidence that they are in second-level education (even if automatic payments have issued for other children in the family).

You can get application forms in all local social welfare offices and Intreo centres, and on the Department’s website, When a decision has been made on your application, you will get a letter informing you of this and whether a payment has been awarded. If your application has been successful, you will also be told when and where you can collect the payment. If the Allowance is refused, you can ask for a review of the decision.

Know Your Rights columns cover topical subjects every month in a question-and-answer format. They are published by the Citizens Information Board online and syndicated through Citizens Information Services to local newspapers around Ireland.

Further information is available from Citizens Information Centres and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, call 0761 07 4000.


Cad é an Liúntas Éadaí agus Coisbhirt chun Filleadh ar Scoil?


Cabhraíonn an Liúntas Éadaí agus Coisbhirt chun Filleadh ar Scoil (an LÉCFS) leat chun íoc as costas éidí agus coisbhirt do leanaí atá ag freastal ar an scoil. Ní mór go bhfuil íocaíocht leasa shóisialaigh á fáil agat nó go bhfuil tú ag glacadh páirte i scéim oiliúna, fostaíochta nó oideachais do dhaoine fásta. Go ginearálta, ní mór go bhfuil Méadú i leith Leanbh Cáilithe á fháil agat le d’íocaíocht.

Ní mór go bhfuil do leanaí idir aois 4 agus 22 bliain an 30 Meán Fómhair 2016 nó roimhe sin. Má tá siad idir 18 agus 22 bliain, ní mór dóibh bheith in oideachas lánaimseartha dara leibhéal i scoil nó coláiste aitheanta. Ina theannta sin, ní mór go mbeidh d’ioncam iomlán teaghlaigh faoi bhun leibhéal áirithe do mhéid do theaghlaigh. Is é an Liúntas €100 i gcás leanaí cáilithe idir aois 4 agus 11 bhliain agus €200 dóibh siúd idir aois 12 agus 22 bliain.

Tá an scéim ar oscailt ón 1 Meitheamh go dtí an 30 Meán Fómhair 2016. Íocann an Roinn Coimirce Sóisialaí an LÉCFS go huathoibríoch le go leor custaiméirí. Ciallaíonn seo nach gá dóibh iarratas a dhéanamh don íocaíocht. Má cháilíonn tú go huathoibríoch, ba cheart duit litir a fháil ina luaitear cathain agus conas a íocfar do Liúntas.

Mura bhfaigheann tú íocaíocht uathoibríoch, ní mór duit iarratas a dhéanamh ar an Liúntas. Má tá aon duine de do leanaí 18 mbliana d’aois nó os a chionn, ní mór duit iarratas a dhéanamh ar an Liúntas dóibh agus fianaise a sholáthar go bhfuil siad in oideachas dara leibhéal (fiú má eisíodh íocaíochtaí uathoibríocha do leanaí eile sa teaghlach).

Tá fáil ar fhoirmeacha iarratais i ngach oifig leasa shóisialaigh áitiúil agus gach ionad Intreo, agus ar láithreán gréasáin na Roinne ag Nuair a bhíonn cinneadh déanta ar d’iarratas, gheobhaidh tú litir a chuirfidh tú ar an eolas air seo agus ar cibé acu ar bronnadh nó nár bronnadh íocaíocht. Má bhí an rath ar d’iarratas, inseofar duit, chomh maith, cathain agus cá féidir leat an íocaíocht a bhailiú. Má dhiúltaítear an liúntas, féadfaidh tú iarraidh ar athbhreithniú an chinnidh.

Know your rights: Part-time work and social welfare payments // Obair pháirtaimseartha agus íocaíochtaí leasa shóisialaigh


I’m working part-time on a low wage. Do I qualify for any social welfare payments?

Answer (August 2016)

It depends on your personal circumstances. Many people work part time before taking up full-time employment. If you are working part time you can, in some cases, keep or apply for a partial social welfare payment, or you may qualify for additional supports.

If you work over 38 hours in a fortnight and you have children you may be able to claim Family Income Supplement (FIS). FIS is a weekly tax-free payment for people on low pay. You may be able to claim a jobseeker’s payment for the days you are not working. You can work part-time for up to 3 days a week and claim a reduced Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Allowance payment. You may qualify for the Part-time Job Incentive Scheme if you were getting Jobseeker’s Allowance and find part-time work for less than 24 hours per week.

However, one of the main conditions for getting a jobseeker’s payment is that you must be available for and actively seeking work. This means that you must continue to look for work on the days you are unemployed. You must also be unemployed for at least 4 days out of 7 consecutive days.

If you return to work after a period of unemployment, you may qualify for the Back to Work Family Dividend (BTWFD) which aims to help families move from social welfare into employment. The BTWFD and FIS can be paid together and the BTWFD is not taken into account in the means test for FIS.

If you are parenting alone and getting a One-Parent Family Payment, you are allowed to earn a certain amount each week and keep your payment. In some cases, people getting disability payments can do some work and keep a social welfare payment.

Know Your Rights columns cover topical subjects every month in a question-and-answer format. They are published by the Citizens Information Board online and syndicated through Citizens Information Services to local newspapers around Ireland.

Further information is available from Citizens Information Centres and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, call 0761 07 4000.


Táim ag oibriú páirtaimseartha ar phá íseal. An gcáilím d’aon íocaíochtaí leasa shóisialaigh?


Braitheann sé ar do chúinsí pearsanta. Oibríonn go leor daoine go páirtaimseartha sula nglacann siad le fostaíocht lánaimseartha. Má tá tú ag oibriú go páirtaimseartha, féadfaidh tú, i gcásanna áirithe, íocaíocht pháirteach leasa shóisialaigh a choimeád nó iarratas a dhéanamh ar íocaíocht pháirteach leasa shóisialaigh, nó féadfaidh tú cáiliú do thacaíochtaí breise.

Má oibríonn tú breis agus 38 uair an chloig i gcoicís agus má bhíonn leanaí agat, b’fhéidir go mbeidh tú in ann Forlíonadh Ioncam Teaghlaigh (FIT) a éileamh. Íocaíocht sheachtainiúil is ea FIT atá saor ó cháin do dhaoine ag a bhfuil ísealphá. B’fhéidir go mbeidh tú in ann íocaíocht cuardaitheora post a éileamh do na laethanta nach mbíonn tú ag oibriú. Féadfaidh tú oibriú go páirtaimseartha ar feadh a mhéid le 3 lá sa tseachtain agus íocaíocht Sochar Cuardaitheora PoistLiúntas Cuardaitheora Poist laghdaithe a éileamh. B’fhéidir go gcáileoidh tú don Scéim Dreasachta Poist Pháirtaimseartha má bhí Liúntas Cuardaitheora Poist á fháil agat agus má aimsíonn tú obair ar feadh níos lú ná 24 uair an chloig sa tseachtain.

Ar cheann de na príomhchoinníollacha chun íocaíocht cuardaitheora poist a fháil, áfach, nach mór go mbíonn tú ar fáil le haghaidh oibre agus go bhfuil obair á lorg go gníomhach agat. Ciallaíonn seo nach mór duit leanúint ag cuardach oibre ar na laethanta a bhíonn tú dífhostaithe. Chomh maith leis sin, ní mór go mbíonn tú dífhostaithe ar feadh ceithre lá as 7 lá i ndiaidh a chéile.

Má fhilleann tú ar obair i ndiaidh tréimhse dhífhostaíochta, b’fhéidir go gcáileoidh tú do Dhíbhinn Teaghlaigh um Fhilleadh ar Obair (DTFAO) a bhfuil de chuspóir aici cabhrú le teaghlaigh aistriú ó leas sóisialach isteach i bhfostaíocht. Is féidir an DTFAO agus an FIT a íoc i dteannta a chéile agus ní chuirtear an DTFAO san áireamh sa tástáil mhaoine do FIT.

Má tá tuistiú aonair á dhéanamh agat agus má tá Íocaíocht Teaghlach Aontuismitheora á fáil agat, ceadaítear duit méid áirithe a thuilleamh gach seachtain agus d’íocaíocht a choimeád. I roinnt cásanna, féadfaidh daoine a bhfuil íocaíochtaí míchumais á bhfáil acu roinnt oibre a dhéanamh agus íocaíocht leasa shóisialaigh a choimeád.

Know your rights: Pre-school education for children with disabilities // Oideachas réamhscoile do leanaí faoi mhíchumas


My child is almost three years old and has a disability. Will he be able to access the free Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) year?

Answer (July 2016)

Yes, he will. A new programme – the Access and Inclusion Model (AIM) – was launched on 15 June 2016 for enrolments in September 2016. AIM ensures that supports are available for children with special needs so they can fully benefit from the free pre-school year in mainstream pre-schools.

AIM is a child-centred model, involving seven levels of progressive support which offer tailored, practical supports based on the needs of the child and the pre-school provider. It does not require a formal diagnosis of disability.

Levels 1–3 provide universal supports designed to promote and support an inclusive culture in pre-schools. If a pre-school provider and a parent think that additional support may be needed to meet the needs of a particular child, they can apply for additional targeted supports under levels 4–7 of the model. These targeted supports include expert early childhood care and educational advice and mentoring (level 4), specialised equipment, appliances and minor alterations (level 5), therapeutic supports (level 6) or additional capitation to fund extra assistance in the ECCE pre-school room (level 7).

You access AIM supports through your pre-school service provider. If you have not identified a suitable pre-school for your child, your local City or County Childcare Committee will be able to help you. When you have identified a pre-school for your child, your service provider will consider, in consultation with you, what supports may be needed to ensure that your child can participate fully in pre-school. Applications for supports under AIM are made by the service provider via the Pobal website. Pobal are the current administrators of the ECCE programme so your service provider will be familiar with the Pobal website. The application process is now open and will remain open throughout the year.

For advice and support from the Early Years Specialist Service (Access and Inclusion) you can contact (01) 511 7222 or e-mail:

Know Your Rights columns cover topical subjects every month in a question-and-answer format. They are published by the Citizens Information Board online and syndicated through Citizens Information Services to local newspapers around Ireland.

Further information is available from Citizens Information Centres and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, call 0761 07 4000.


Tá mo leanbh beagnach trí bliana d’aois agus tá sé faoi mhíchumas. An mbeidh sé in ann rochtain a fháil ar an mbliain saor in aisce Cúraim agus Oideachais na Luathóige (COLÓ)?


Beidh. Seoladh clár nua – an tSamhail Rochtana agus Chuimsithe (AIM) – an 15 Meitheamh 2016 do chlárú i Meán Fómhair 2016. Cinntíonn AIM go bhfuil tacaíochtaí ar fáil do leanaí a bhfuil riachtanais speisialta acu d’fhonn gur féidir leo tairbhe iomlán a bhaint as an mbliain réamhscoile saor in aisce i réamhscoileanna príomhshrutha.

Samhail leanbhlárnach is ea AIM, ina bhfuil seacht leibhéal de thacaíocht chéimnitheach a sholáthraíonn tacaíochtaí saincheaptha praiticiúla bunaithe ar riachtanais an linbh agus an tsoláthraí réamhscoile. Ní theastaíonn diagnóis fhoirmiúil i leith míchumais ón gclár.

Soláthraíonn leibhéil 1-3 tacaíochtaí uilíocha atá in ainm is cultúr cuimsitheach i réamhscoileanna a chur chun cinn agus tacú leis. Má cheapann soláthraí réamhscoile agus tuismitheoir go bhféadfadh go dteastaíonn tacaíocht bhreise chun freastal ar riachtanais linbh ar leith, féadfaidh siad iarratas a dhéanamh ar thacaíochtaí breise sprioctha faoi leibhéil 4-7 den tsamhail. I measc na dtacaíochtaí sprioctha seo, tá comhairle shaineolach cúraim agus oideachais luathóige agus comhairle agus meantóireacht oideachais (leibhéal 4), trealamh, fearais agus mionathruithe speisialaithe, (leibhéal 5), tacaíochtaí teiripeacha (leibhéal 6) nó caipitíocht bhreise chun cúnamh breise a chistiú i seomra réamhscoile COLÓ (leibhéal 7).

Déanann tú tacaíochtaí AIM a rochtain trí do sholáthraí seirbhíse réamhscoile. Murar shainaithin tú réamhscoil oiriúnach do do leanbh, beidh do Choiste áitiúil Cúram Leanaí Cathrach nó Contae in ann cabhrú leat. Nuair atá réamhscoil sainaitheanta agat do do leanbh, déanfaidh do sholáthraí seirbhíse breithniú, i gcomhar leat féin, ar cén tacaíochtaí a d’fhéadfadh bheith ag teastáil lena chinntiú gur féidir le do leanbh páirt iomlán a ghlacadh sa réamhscoil. Déanann an soláthraí seirbhíse iarratais ar thacaíochtaí faoi AIM trí láithreán gréasáin Pobal. Is é Pobal riarthóirí reatha chlár COLÓ, mar sin, beidh cur amach ag do sholáthraí seirbhíse ar láithreán gréasáin Pobal. Tá an próiseas iarratais ar oscailt anois agus beidh sé ar oscailt i gcaitheamh na bliana.

Chun teacht ar chomhairle agus ar thacaíocht ón tSeirbhís Speisialaithe Luathbhlianta (Rochtain agus Cuimsiú), féadfaidh tú glao ar (01) 511 7222 nó ríomhphost a sheoladh chuig: