Renewing your driving licence online

You can now renew your driving licence or learner permit online.

To apply, you must have a Public Services Card (PSC) and a MyGovID verified account.

You cannot apply online if:

  • Your current driving licence or learner permit is valid for more than 3 months
  • You have a truck or bus category on your licence
  • You are aged 70 or over
  • You are applying for your third or subsequent learner permit
  • You need to get a medical report to renew your driving licence because of a medical condition

Apply to renew your driving licence online on

New forms for Illness and Injury Benefit

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection has introduced new claim forms and medical certificates for Illness and Injury Benefit.

Since 23 July 2018, a new claim form (IB1) and medical certificate (MED1) should be used in place of the MC1 and MC2.

You can read about the new application procedures for Illness Benefit and Injury Benefit.

Know Your Rights: Household Benefits Package


I’m in my 70s and live alone. Is it there any support available to help me with my household running costs?

Answer (June 2018)

The Household Benefits Package may help with the costs of running your household. The package is available to everyone aged over 70 and to some people under 70. It is paid by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP).

The package includes an electricity or gas allowance and a Free Television Licence. The electricity or gas allowance pays €35 per month (€1.15 per day) towards the cost of either your electricity or gas supply (you cannot get an allowance for both). It is paid to your bank or post office account or as a credit on your bill. You can get the Free Television Licence from the next renewal date of your licence after you qualify for the package.

Only one person in a household can qualify for the package. You must be living in the State all year round, and you will need to show that you are the registered gas or electricity consumer, for example, by providing a utility bill.

People aged between 66 and70 may also qualify if they are getting a qualifying payment, such as the State Pension. If they are not getting a qualifying payment, they must satisfy a means test. You qualify if you are getting Carer’s Allowance and providing full-time care to a person you are living with. You may also qualify if you are getting certain social welfare payments and living alone or living with certain people, for example, a qualified adult or child or with someone who would qualify for the allowance in their own right.

To apply, use form HB1 (pdf) from The form is also available from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office or from your nearest Citizens Information Service.

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance 2018 – customer update

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) is experiencing delays processing the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance (BSCFA). These delays are due to a combination of technical problems with payments and a high volume of new applications being received. You can call the DEASP on (071) 919 3318 to ask about your application for the allowance.