The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government has launched a public consultation on proposals regarding modernisation of the electoral registration process.
Proposals for modernisation of the register include:
- Simplification of forms and process
- A rolling register or continuous registration
- Optional online registration and secure self-service
- Moving to individual registration only
- Enabling a single national register database with unique identifiers
- Moving to verified identity using PPS numbers
- Data sharing to maintain accuracy and comprehensiveness
You can visit housing.gov.ie to find out more and make a submission on the proposals. The deadline for submissions is Friday 15 March 2019.