Vacant property schemes

If you own a vacant dwelling or are thinking of buying a property to rent it out, there are government incentives available.

Schemes aimed at bringing vacant homes into use include:

Repair and Leasing Scheme – provides support with costs of repairs for vacant properties and leases the upgraded properties for social housing use.

Buy and Renew Scheme – supports local authorities in purchasing and renewing housing units in need of repair and makes them available for social housing use. 

Long Term Leasing Initiative – allows owners of vacant properties that are in good condition to lease their properties to local authorities. 

You can get more  information on these and other options from  the Vacant Homes Unit in the Department  of Housing or your local authority Vacant Homes Officer. You can also email or call  (01) 8882000.