Know your rights: Rental protections during COVID-19

I lost my job because of COVID-19 and cannot pay my rent. Will I be evicted from my home?

No. If you are at risk of losing your rented accommodation because you cannot pay your rent due to COVID-19, you cannot be evicted and your rent cannot be increased until 11 January 2021 (under the Residential Tenancies and Valuation Act 2020). It is expected that these protections will be extended until 12 April 2021, but legislation is needed for this.

To benefit from the rent freeze and eviction ban, you must be at risk of losing your tenancy because of COVID-19 and you must be getting either:

  • Enhanced COVID-19 Illness Benefit or
  • Any social welfare payment or State support to help with loss of earnings caused by COVID-19 (including Rent Supplement, Supplementary Welfare Allowance and the wage subsidy schemes)

If you meet these requirements, you must fill in and sign a Self-Declaration Form and send it to both the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) and to your landlord. You should keep evidence of having sent the form. Then you can benefit from these protections. If you are already facing rent arrears, you should follow the RTB’s 8-step process to keep your tenancy.

You could also speak to your landlord and tell them that you are struggling to pay your rent. They may agree to reduce your rent until your situation improves. You should not stop paying rent completely. If you cannot pay the full amount of rent due, speak to your landlord or agent before you start paying a reduced amount.

Read more about renting during COVID-19 .

During the COVID-19 pandemic, you can find comprehensive integrated information online at and you can get daily updates on what’s changed on Twitter at @citizensinfo. You can also get information and advice from:

  • The Citizens Information Phone Service: Call 0761 07 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am – 8pm
  • Our national call back service: Visit to request a phone call from an information officer

A limited number of appointments are being made in Citizens Information Centres offices where social distancing can be facilitated. You can continue to contact your local centre by email or phone using the details in the Find a Centre page on